Shared or virtual hosting can be availed on UNIX or Windows platform.
The difference between Window Servers and UNIX operating systems.
- Windows Servers are developed to accommodate advanced Microsoft applications.
- They also integrate back office offerings such as FrontPage, Access and MS SQL and offer specific programming environments such as Active Server Pages (ASP), Visual Basic Scripts, and Cold Fusion, which mainly link database applications to the Web.
- They are accessible through GUI-based remote administration packages such as PCA anywhere or through a customized control panel.
- These packages allow you to log into the server’s desktop as chief administrator only if you have complete control over the server.
- Windows hosting is a great alternative for shared and dedicated servers. .NET technology manages and multiplexes Windows servers quite easily.
- Windows is also an exceptional operating system to use if you intend to run your own dedicated server.
- Windows servers guarantees support, security and integration for the Microsoft family of products. It is advisable to use Windows hosting to link a Microsoft-based service to their Internet hosting requirements.
However, Windows hosting, is complex and labor-intensive and can be used if the webmaster has in-depth experience in maintaining Windows systems. In case the webmaster lacks experience they can choose the UNIX platform.
- UNIX platform is specially designed to accommodate heavy Web traffic and server loads. UNIX servers are known to host multiple sites and serve out gigabytes of traffic.
- The UNIX platform is favored by most webmasters due to their technical advantages.
- UNIX servers provide a wider degree of flexibility due to their shell environment. Shell environments are interactive, text-based systems that allow webmasters to interact and customize their services in real-time from any computer system worldwide.
- UNIX system can be accessed from any computer connected to the Internet without special or expensive software.
- UNIX platform is preferred because of its uptime. UNIX systems with heavy traffic can provide 99 per cent uptime. Windows servers cannot provide good uptime unless specially configured. For this reason, average webmasters should select UNIX as their OS.
For a beginner it is always suitable to use a UNIX hosting system rather then Windows as UNIX has more advantage over Windows as explained above.
This article has been compiled by the content
development team at Pegasus
InfoCorp which pulls subject
matter specialists from different work domains. They can be
contacted through the Pegasus
InfoCorp website at email@example.com. Pegasus
InfoCorp is an India based web
development and online/
offline software development company. Please visit http://www.pegasusinfocorp.com to read more articles and know more about us!
Other companies and organizations are welcome to reprint this article
on their websites provided the following conditions are met.
- The article is not changed in any manner
- The article is copied as is in its entirety (including back
links to the Pegasus InfoCorp website).
- The company/ organization reprinting the article agrees to
defend, indemnify and hold harmless Pegasus InfoCorp, its employees,
directors, officers, agents, partners and their successors and
assigns from and against any and all liabilities, damages, losses,
costs and expenses, including attorney's fees, caused by or
arising out of claims based upon the use of the article, including
any claim of libel, defamation, violation of rights of privacy
or publicity, loss of service by subscribers and infringement
of intellectual property or other rights.